In architecture, a deck is a flat surface that is capable of supporting the weight. It is similar to a floor but it’s typically constructed outdoors. They’re oftentimes connected to a building and elevated from the ground. The deck of a house is generally made of wood, enclosed by a railing for safety. They can typically be accessed from the house through doors, and from the ground via a stairway.
They can be constructed in several areas, where the ground may or may not be stable. They can also be covered by a canopy or pergola to control sunlight. There are many designs that can be found on several books, magazines, and DIY websites. It is quite common to find decks in the Fort Lauderdale area. There are also many companies dedicated to their construction there.
How are decks built?
Decks construction is typically of a post or beam architecture. These posts are anchored to piers in the ground. These types of constructions require experienced professionals that specialize in structural decks. However, cantilever decks, rely on floor joists that protrude out further than the wall of the house. While it’s common, there are several safety issues regarding this type of construction.
Another important part of building a deck is its railings. Railings must meet the codes or standards in order to avoid accidents that could end up in injuries. Railings on decks above 30 inches are considered to guard rails. Guard rails have specific requirements when it comes to height and structural strength.
Basically, decks are complicated structures need planning, engineering, and permits. But if these steps are not followed it and result in serious accidents that could cause injuries or even death. Which is why it’s important not to take it lightly and find a professional deck builder.
Benefits of having built a deck at home
Adding a deck to your house is an excellent idea, not only is it a great relaxation space, but it adds beauty and value to your home. Whether you choose a natural wood deck or a low-maintenance option, installing one may be one of the best decisions you could ever make. Some of the benefits of having a deck at home include:
- A deck is ideal for entertaining guests. You could host a family dinner, a gathering or a barbecue. A deck gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sunshine. It gives you a defined central space to hang out.
- A quality deck increases your home value. Decks are a sought-after feature, especially in Fort Lauderdale. If you ever find yourself selling your house, you will see how your home value and desirability will increase, if you have a deck to offer.
- You can create aesthetically pleasing deck designs. There are many styles to choose from, which means you can create whichever one fits your likes. You can enhance the aesthetics of your home by building a deck. You can play with the colors and furniture and make it your own, unlike any other deck.
- Deck additions can be built quickly. If you want to add space to your house, a deck is a perfect way to do so. It can be completed more quickly than say, a new bedroom or an extra floor. It is also a less invasive process since it’s built outdoors.
- It gives you extra space. It gives you a defined area to spend time with your family, you can even store things below deck and free even more space on the house and yard.
- Compared to other home renovations, a deck is inexpensive. This is a great benefit for homeowners on a budget, it’s also worth the investment due to the multiple benefits mentioned above.
Why should you hire a deck builder company?
If you want to build a deck in your home you may be looking for ways to save some money. One of the thoughts that may have come to mind might be to be as DIY as possible. However, there are several reasons why you should go ahead and hire a deck builder company.
- It’s safer. Building a deck on your own may result in rickety decks that are close to falling apart and don’t meet the codes. Professionals know which permits to request, and which are the standards for a secure deck.
- Lower maintenance materials. A construction company may build your new deck with better materials. These may be different than traditional wood, meaning it won’t require as much maintenance.
- Experience. Although you may want to take part in the building of the deck, if you do it by yourself it won’t be as good of a result. Professionals with years of experience can build a deck in less time, with fewer mistakes, and with much more ease
Maintenance tips for your deck
If you already have a deck in your home, you may be wondering how to take proper care of it. In the Fort Lauderdale area, which is prone to storms and hurricanes, the deck may be subject to damaging effects of the weather. These effects can result in discoloration caused by dirt, moss, algae and other plants. They can tear the surface of the wood and create splinters.
Inspecting the deck regularly is important, you should check for loose boards or protruding nails. Before beginning any repair or maintenance you should clear the deck of any toys and furniture. After sweeping the larger debris, you should blast out any of it that may be caught between boards. Products with a non-chlorine bleach base are used for stains and discoloration.
Paint the wood, or use a clear or lightly stained finish for the wood if you want to take advantage of its natural beauty. Once the paint or finish is dry you have to seal the deck. A sealant can be brushed on, rolled on or sprayed. Spraying is fastest but harder to control. Some sealants have color that may stain surfaces when they are applied. If you follow these tips, your deck’s longevity and integrity will be guaranteed.